Sunday, May 9, 2010

Company A's Story, part 1

Here is a story about a large, national company I'm currently working with. It's a story of some of the decisions they've made about their brand new social media marketing campaign. Over the next few posts, I'll focus on different parts of this story and talk about the good or bad of a particular decision.


I'm currently working with a large company that's been around for several decades (I'm not allowed to disclose which one, so I'll call it Company A), helping them get a fledgling social media PR campaign off the ground.

It began when I left a comment on Company A's new blog. One of their newer, younger employees--an assistant to the head of the company--contacted me after reading my comment. He agreed that Company A should have a social media campaign and wanted something he could take to the board.

I outlined a basic plan that specified a few social media outlets they should focus on and how to use them to engage their customers in useful conversations. He took it to the decision-makers--largely people who don't use or understand social media. And, like so often happens, they were afraid of it. But this employee, this assistant to the head of Company A, understood the power of social media. He convinced them to try it. But the decision-makers still were not comfortable.

"As you know, Company A has an image problem. Almost all of the press we've gotten lately has been about The Problem. The only reason we're even considering this type of program is because we've heard it can change our image."

They passed my plan to their Public Affairs department where, based on what they were used to and directives from above, they quickly changed it.

The first decision they made was to shut down all unofficial Facebook fan pages and create a new, official Facebook fan page. They asked me for questions they could use to engage anyone who visits the page.

"But nothing that might get someone talking about The Problem."

I created a list of discussion points, the first of which they posted to their Facebook page the day it launched.

The day after their Facebook fan page went live, Company A's PR department sent an interoffice memorandum to every employee, informing them that there was a new social media marketing campaign and giving a brief overview of it: a new Facebook fan page, and possibly using twitter for important bulletins.

The Facebook fan page went live last week. Right now, that's as far as this social media marketing campaign has gotten.

Check out my upcoming posts to see what I think of individual decisions they've made, and what I think will happen because of them.

Search Amazon.com for social media for business

No comments:

Post a Comment